Escape to AN Japan: Cozy Cafe & Guesthouse Awaits!
Escape to AN Japan: Cozy Cafe & Guesthouse Awaits! - A Wanderer's Rambling Review (Spoiler: I'm In Love)
Okay, guys, buckle up. This isn't just a review, it's a confession. I've just returned from AN Japan, and… I'm already plotting my return. Get ready for a messy, honest, and probably overly-enthusiastic dive into what this charming guesthouse in a (presumably) charming part of Japan has to offer. Prepare for a LOT of exclamation points. (Sorry, not sorry.)
First off, let's get the practical stuff out of the way. SEO, baby! So, if you're searching for "Japan guesthouse," "cozy cafe," "accessible hotels Japan," or "romantic getaways," you've got to read on.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag (But Mostly Good!)
AN Japan, I'd say, leans towards being pretty accessible. It's not a fully dedicated accessibility hotel, but they’ve made some smart choices. Facilities for disabled guests are listed, which is a good sign, but I couldn't fully investigate them. I'd highly recommend contacting them directly to discuss your specific needs. There's an elevator, which is a major win if stairs aren't your thing! I didn't investigate the rooms, so I can't vouch for wheelchair accessibility, but the public areas seemed manageable.
Okay, Now for the Good Stuff: The "Escape" Feeling
This is where AN Japan truly shines. Forget sterile hotel rooms! This is about vibe. This place just oozes charm. Think… a slightly quirky, well-loved, and utterly inviting haven. I'm pretty sure the website calls it "Cozy Cafe & Guesthouse," and that's spot on.
The Rooms: Your Personal Zen Den (Probably With Free Wi-Fi!)
The rooms themselves? Non-smoking rooms, thank the gods! Because, you know, clean air is essential for maximum relaxation. I went for one with a private bathroom, because… well, privacy! Free Wi-Fi in all the rooms? YUP! And it's actually fast! They also have Internet access - LAN, but who uses that anymore? I was happy with my Internet access – wireless, thank you very much. The air conditioning blasted cool air which was much appreciated because it was like 90 degrees outside. Blackout curtains for sleep-ins? Absolutely. Bathrobes and slippers? You bet! The extra-long bed was amazing, and I spent a lot of time on the sofa reading while the rain pattered against the window. It was pure bliss.
Let's talk about the details, because those are what make a place feel special: Alarm clock, hairdryer, coffee/tea maker, complimentary tea (yes!), desk, in-room safe box, mirror, private bathroom, a refrigerator to keep all my beer cold, a seating area, and a window that opens to let in the sounds of the world (and the occasional delicious smell from the cafe downstairs). They even had safety/security features, like a smoke detector which is good! The daily housekeeping service was a godsend.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: My Stomach is Still Thanking Me
This is where AN Japan truly knocked it out of the park. The cafe wasn’t just a pretty face; it was a bonafide culinary adventure!
- The Cafe!: Forget the typical hotel breakfasts. This place had a Western and Asian breakfast, and I ate both. No, I'm not sorry. The Asian cuisine options were incredible. I found myself addicted to the coffee. They had a coffee shop, for crying out loud! Also, the pastries! Oh, the pastries… (Okay, I'm drooling now). They had a bar for happy hour!
- Restaurants: There are restaurants. You can get food brought to your room with Room service [24-hour]. You can get desserts in the restaurant.
- Healthy Options! They offer salad in the restaurant, and soup in the restaurant.
- Breakfast: They offered breakfast [buffet] which was pretty good.
The biggest standout? The Coffee and the Atmosphere! This is where my rambling confession really kicks in… One morning, nursing a slight hangover (don't judge!), I wandered down to the cafe. The air was thick with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and something I can only describe as "happiness." I ordered a cappuccino and a croissant (because, you know, balance). And then… I just sat there. Watching the world go by, surrounded by friendly locals and fellow travelers. It was the perfect way to start the day.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax, and the (Slightly) Rambling "Spa" Situation
Okay, here's where things get a little less spa-centric. AN Japan isn't a full-blown spa resort. But, listen up! They offer:
- Things to do: I mean, you're in Japan! Explore, explore, explore!
- Ways to Relax: (This is where it gets dreamy.) They have a terrace, which provided a beautiful spot to chill out with a book.
- Spa: This is where it gets a little less spa centric. They don't have an actual Spa but there is a foot bath that's not the most luxurious spa experience, but it's a lovely touch. The biggest takeaway is the overall calming atmosphere of the guesthouse.
- Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Pool with view, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Gym/fitness, Massage. Nope, nothing like that is on offer, but the overall vibe is chill enough where this doesn't matter.
Services and Conveniences: They've Thought of Almost Everything
- Helpful staff They seemed genuinely happy to help. Always a plus!
- Check-in/out [express]: Super quick and easy.
- Air conditioning in public area
- Audio-visual equipment for special events, Outdoor venue for special events
- Business facilities: They have a business center with a Xerox/fax in business center. Meetings/banquet facilities, Meeting stationery
- Cash withdrawal: There's a cash withdrawal service.
- Contactless check-in/out: A lifesaver in current times!
- Convenience store: Yup, for those late-night snack attacks.
- Currency exchange: Helpful if you're arriving from somewhere with a different currency.
- Daily housekeeping: They kept everything spotless.
- Doorman. They didn't have a doorman, but a friendly staff ready to assist.
- Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Laundry service: Essential for a long trip!
- Elevator: Major points for those with mobility issues.
- Essential condiments, Food delivery:
- Gift/souvenir shop: Great for picking up a little something to remember your trip by.
- Invoice provided.
- Luggage storage: Whew!
- Projector/LED display
- Safety deposit boxes
- Shrine
- Smoking area:
- Wi-Fi for special events
- Airport transfer:
- Bicycle parking
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking
- Facilities for disabled guests
Cleanliness and Safety: They Take Things Seriously (Thank Goodness!)
The cleanliness and safety protocols were top-notch, which is a huge relief these days. They had:
- Anti-viral cleaning products
- Cashless payment service
- Daily disinfection in common areas
- Hand sanitizer
- Hygiene certification
- Individually-wrapped food options
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter
- Rooms sanitized between stays
- Safe dining setup
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items
- Staff trained in safety protocol
They also had: CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Front Desk [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms, which is very important
For the Kids: Family-Friendly Vibes
They're family/child friendly, They also have babysitting service, Kids facilities, Kids meal!
Getting Around: The hotel is well-connected, but you're going to want to do some exploring!
Things I LOVED:
- The vibe. Seriously, it was just so relaxing and welcoming.
- The
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your sterile, perfectly-planned travel itinerary. This is a real journey, a messy, glorious, caffeine-fueled ramble through the heart of Japan, with Cafe & Guesthouse AN as the, uh, slightly wonky anchor. Prepare for typos, tangents, and probably a little bit of existential dread thrown in for good measure.
Cafe & Guesthouse AN - The Unofficial, Probably-Not-Recommended-by-Anyone Itinerary (But You're Gonna Love It, Maybe)
Day 1: Tokyo - Arrival and the "Oh My God, I Lost My Phone!" Crisis
- Morning (AKA, The Jet Lag Demon Strikes): Landed at Narita. Immigration was a blur of frantic pointing and praying I didn't accidentally insult a customs official. Found the train…Eventually. The chaos of Tokyo station nearly gave me a panic attack. Like, why are there so many people?! Dragged my slightly-too-heavy backpack onto the Narita Express, and promptly fell asleep, drooling slightly, for the entire ride. Woke up feeling like a zombie.
- Afternoon (AN Redemption): Finally stumbled, defeated, into Cafe & Guesthouse AN. Thank GOD for the welcoming vibes! Seriously, the place just smells of good coffee and… something else… a subtle hint of happiness? Quickly checked in, got my tiny, yet-charming, room. The futon situation? Surprisingly comfortable, and the view from my window? Purely Tokyo, you can practically feel the city humming outside.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening (Disaster Strikes): Okay, so…remember how I mentioned chaos? Well, somewhere between the guest house and the local conbini (7-Eleven, obviously), I managed to lose my phone. Panic level: ELEVEN. Spent a good hour frantically retracing my steps, muttering to myself like a lunatic. The staff at AN, bless their patient souls, were incredibly helpful, even calling the local police (who, by the way, were incredibly polite). Sadly, no phone. Just empty pockets, and a gnawing fear that my entire trip's Instagram potential had vanished.
- Evening (Meltdown & Ramen): Sat in the common area, trying not to cry into my free cup of coffee, feeling utterly useless. A friendly older gentleman, who I think was called Kenji, saw my face and just… brought me ramen. No words, just ramen. Life-saving ramen. The broth was perfect, the noodles… celestial. Slowly, the existential dread receded, replaced by a deep-seated appreciation for human kindness and the sheer, glorious deliciousness of ramen.
- Night (Acceptance…and a Tiny Bit of Hope): Okay, no phone. Sh*t happens. Borrowed the guest house's computer to email everyone, and got my first taste of the guesthouse's cafe. Amazing coffee with perfect latte art, and the friendliest barista ever. This trip isn't ruined, it's…different. Maybe even better? Fell asleep on the futon, dreaming of ramen and the faint hope that someone, somewhere, would find my phone and, by some miracle, return it.
Day 2: Tokyo - Culture Shock (Sort Of), and a Cat Cafe I'll Never Forget
- Morning (Culture Appreciation…Maybe): Woke up feeling…surprisingly optimistic? Took a deep breath of Tokyo air, which, despite the general grunginess of the city, actually smelled pretty good? Decided to tackle the Tsukiji Outer Market. The crowds were INSANE, but the fresh seafood… worth the elbowing. Ate the most amazing sushi I've ever tasted - melt-in-your-mouth perfection!
- Afternoon (Lost in Translation (Again)): Attempted to navigate the Tokyo subway system on my own. Success rate: approximately 50%. Spent an embarrassing amount of time staring blankly at the confusing maps and trying to decipher the train announcements. Got on the wrong train. Ended up in a completely different neighborhood. Felt like I was in a movie, but, not a particularly good one.
- Late Afternoon: The Cat Cafe Experience: This is where things took a turn for the glorious. I've always loved cats, and even thought of owning one, however, my apartment doesn't allow pets. So, on a whim, stumbled into a cat cafe, fully anticipating a cheesy tourist trap. I was SO WRONG. It was… magical. Dozens of cats, of all breeds, lounging, playing, sleeping, just living their best lives. I spent a good two hours just sitting on the floor, surrounded by fluffy friends, feeling my stress melt away. There was the cutest little kitten that kept headbutting my hand, purring like a tiny motor. I swear, the cats cured my phone-related woes. This was the highlight of the day!
- Evening (Karaoke and…Regret?): Back at AN, the common area was buzzing with activity. Decided to be brave and join a karaoke session with some fellow travelers. Turns out, my singing voice is about as good as a dying whale (probably, I have never heard a dying whale). The performance was absolutely horrendous, and fueled by quite a few beers, but honestly, it was also great.
- Anecdote: A guy named Ben from Australia kept trying to sing Bon Jovi, and kept failing terribly. I joined him in the next song after he challenged me and ended up crying the same way.
- Night (Contemplation and a Second Helping of Ramen, if I could find a shop): Passed out on my futon, reflecting on the day. Even without my phone, everything was just…pretty fantastic.
Day 3: (Flexible - Adaptability is Key!) and Day 4 (More Tokyo Goodness)
Day 3: Explore Tokyo (Without a Phone!)
- Morning: Headed to a temple, lost the way and ended up visiting a weird old temple, which at the end, ended up being a very nice experience!
- Afternoon: Strolled by the Tokyo National Museum and the Ueno Park.
- Evening: Ate at a traditional izakaya. Ordered a bunch of things I couldn't pronounce, but it was perfect!
Day 4: Travel to another city (I will figure this out later)
Remaining Days: Continued Exploration and the Realization That You Don't Need a Phone to Have an Amazing Time
Important Notes/Ramblings:
- Food: Eat everything. Seriously. Even if you don't know what it is. Embrace the weirdness.
- Transportation: Learn some basic Japanese phrases. "Sumimasen" (excuse me) is your best friend. Also, get a pocket wifi or something.
- The Staff at AN: Seriously, they're amazing. Tip them. They deserve it.
- Emotions: Expect a rollercoaster. You'll be overwhelmed, lost, frustrated, and ecstatic, all in the span of a few hours. Embrace it.
- Phone Update: Still no phone. Sigh. But hey, at least I have memories, right? And ramen. Always ramen.
- Final Thought: This trip is not about perfection. It's about experiencing life, getting lost, and maybe finding a new appreciation for the small things (like a perfect cup of coffee or the purr of a cat). And, of course, about not losing your mind (too much).
This is just the beginning. I'll update as I go. Maybe I'll even find my phone! (Probably not.) Wish me luck! And if you see a phone lying around somewhere, please, please let me know.
Escape to Paradise: 3BR Lumina Villa in Seminyak, HUGE Discount!So, What *IS* Escape to AN Japan Anyway? Sound like a cult...
Okay, okay, before you start picturing robes and Kool-Aid, let me clarify. "Escape to AN Japan" is basically me, your intrepid host (that's me!), trying to document this… *journey*… of running a cozy cafe and guesthouse in Awa, Japan. Think less cult, more… slightly chaotic, probably caffeine-fueled attempt at living the dream? It's a cafe, a guesthouse, and hopefully, a place for people to just… *be*. Or at least, that's the plan. So far, the plan involves a lot of cleaning up after spilled soy lattes and wondering if the plumbing is *ever* going to cooperate.
Honestly, the name *does* sound pretentious, doesn't it? Like some super-serious "find yourself" retreat. I just wanted to… well, escape. From the soul-crushing corporate world. Hence, "Escape." AN is for… *Awa*, the area. I tried to make it sound… aspirational. Turns out, aspiration is hard work!
Is this… is this real? Because I saw that one picture of the cat, and, well, that's a hard sell.
Look, let's just address the elephant in the room (or, let’s be honest, the fluffy, ginger menace that *is* the cat). Yes, it’s real. Yes, the cat is real. He's called Mochi, and he's basically the CEO of the operation. He judges everyone's coffee-making skills. And honestly, he's probably the most competent member of staff. He sleeps a lot. And he may or may not have eaten some paperwork. My life is in chaos, don't judge me.
I know, I know, a cute cat is almost too cliché. But hey, life's cliché! And Mochi, bless his judgmental little heart, is undeniably adorable. So, yes, it's real. Possibly a little bit *too* real right now... like, the plumbing. The plumbing is currently having an existential crisis and so am I.
What kind of cafe are we talking about? Is it all matcha and Instagram-worthy pastries? Because if it is I'm out.
Okay, okay, I hear you. The word "cafe" can conjure up images of perfectly sculpted lattes and those annoying influencers who only take pictures and never *actually* drink their coffee. Nope, not entirely. We *do* serve coffee, and we've got a slightly-above-average attempt at pastries sometimes. The vibe is more… homey. Think good coffee, local ingredients when possible, and a healthy dose of "we're figuring this out as we go," so many imperfections. We have local produce that's so good, I can cry.
I want it to be a space where you can actually *relax*. Not pose. Good coffee, good vibes, and hopefully a few laughs. We're working on the "perfectly sculpted lattes" part, but, you know… priorities. Like, you know, *keeping the roof from leaking* .
The Guesthouse part... what's that like? Is it a hostel? Do I have to share a bathroom?!
Guesthouse… ah, yes. The guesthouse. It's small. Think charmingly rustic, not luxurious. It's *not* a hostel. We have a mix of private rooms and a slightly more communal space or two. Shared bathrooms? Yes, unfortunately. I'm saving up for private bathrooms, but the Japanese plumbing repair bills are currently eating that budget alive. So it's all about the shower schedule! And the shower schedule is currently at the mercy of the whims of the aforementioned cat and the plumbing gods. Wish me luck.
I want it to feel like a home away from home, or at least a slightly less messy version of my own home. It's a work in progress, and hopefully, a lot of fun.
Why Awa? It's not exactly Tokyo, is it?
Good question! Why Awa? Honestly? It's beautiful. Really, *really* beautiful. Mountains, rice paddies, the sea… It's a slower pace of life than, say, Tokyo. Awa is a hidden gem. That's the main selling point. To escape the chaos, to connect with nature, to actually *hear* myself think… It's a world away from the city. Which, sometimes, is exactly what I need.
Plus, I stumbled upon the place. It just felt… *right*. Like, the air felt cleaner, the people were friendlier, and there was just… a certain magic. It's not perfect. There are moments when I swear the nearest grocery store is *miles* away, and you have to learn to love the rhythm of the local bus schedule. And the mosquitos. They are relentless. But yeah, that's a small price to pay.
Any advice on getting to Awa? Because this is starting to sound amazing. And also exhausting.
Okay, okay, let’s talk logistics. Getting to Awa… it’s not *that* hard, but you're not strolling down the street, just to let you know. You probably fly into a major airport like Narita or Kansai. From there, you'll take a train which can be a journey in itself. The Shinkansen (bullet train) offers an exhilarating experience, then you'll change to a slower, local train to Awa. Or, if you're feeling adventurous (and have a LOT of time), you can rent a car. Be warned though, driving in Japan can be an exercise in patience.
The whole process? Can take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours depending on connections. But, it is worth it! Bring a good book, a travel pillow, and a sense of adventure. And maybe a phrasebook. My Japanese is... improving. Slowly. Very slowly, it is. Don't worry too much.
What's a typical day like? Because I bet it's not all sunshine and rainbows...
Oh, honey, you are so right. Sunshine and rainbows? Sometimes. Mostly, it's early mornings frantically making coffee while simultaneously trying to locate Mochi (he's usually plotting something), dealing with the aforementioned plumbing, and hoping the wifi doesn't give out during a guest's online meeting. It’s a blur of activity.
Personalized Stays