Escape to Bemidji: Paul Bunyan's Cozy Candlewood Suites Awaits!

Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG United States

Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG United States

Escape to Bemidji: Paul Bunyan's Cozy Candlewood Suites Awaits!

Escape to Bemidji: Paul Bunyan and Pandemic-Proof Pampering Awaits (Or Does It?) - A Really Honest Review

Okay, folks, buckle up. This isn't your average, perfectly polished hotel review. This is the raw, unvarnished truth about the Candlewood Suites in Bemidji, Minnesota – a place promising cozy vibes and Paul Bunyan-sized adventures. And, yeah, a little bit of existential dread about how long my sourdough starter will survive the road trip. Let's dive in, shall we?

First Impressions & Accessibility: Can a Wheelchair Handle Paul Bunyan?

Getting to Bemidji is a drive, let's be honest. Even if you're not hauling sourdough, it's a trek. The Candlewood Suites, thankfully, is pretty easy to find. And the accessibility? Well, it's a mixed bag, just like life.

  • Wheelchair Accessible: Yes, they do have accessible rooms. Score! (Important for you, the reader, obviously, but also big ups to the hotel. Inclusivity matters!) Ramps and elevators were present, making navigating the common areas doable. But remember, "accessible" doesn't always mean "effortless." I'm thinking about wide doorways and elevators, which are great until they're slow. No problem here, I think?
  • Check-in/out [express] and Contactless: Praise the contactless gods! After a long drive, the less interaction, the better. They had the option for express check-in/out, which is a huge plus, especially if you're trying to avoid any… well, anything, post-pandemic.

Cleanliness & Safety: Germs, Be Gone! (Hopefully)

This is where things get interesting. We're all about that "cleanliness is next to godliness" life these days, right? So, how does Candlewood stack up?

  • Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily Disinfection, Hygiene Certification, Professional-grade sanitizing: They say they're on it. And the Rooms sanitized between stays box is ticked. That's reassuring. Is it enough to stop me from still compulsively wiping down everything with my own Clorox wipes? Maybe not. But it's better than nothing. The hand sanitizer stations around were plentiful, which is always a good sign.
  • Room sanitization opt-out, well, that just makes me feel better.
  • Individually-wrapped food options and Safe dining setup, again, good to see.
  • Staff trained in safety protocol: This is hugely important. Seeing staff wearing masks properly and genuinely looking like they're trying to keep you safe is a massive plus.

Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: Fueling the Bunyan-esque Adventures

Alright, let's talk food. Because after the drive, and the endless sanitizing, a hungry traveler is a grumpy traveler.

  • Breakfast [buffet]:Was a thing, not currently offered.
  • Breakfast takeaway service: Yesss! This is a lifesaver. Grab-and-go is essential for a quick fuel-up before hitting the trails.
  • Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Essential, essential, essential. Caffeine is my friend. And a good cup of coffee is… a good cup of coffee.
  • Restaurants, Snack bar: There aren't any restaurants inside the hotel, as is typical for this kind of property, but the snack bar is convenient for grabbing a quick bite.

The Room: A Cozy, (Hopefully) Clean Space?

This is where the rubber meets the road, folks. The actual room.

  • Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Free Wi-Fi, Coffee/tea maker: Basic necessities checked off. Phew. I could survive here.
  • Linens, Towels, Slippers, Bathrobes: Always a nice touch. Small pleasures, you know?
  • Additional toilet. Yeah!
  • Alarm clock, Hair dryer, Desk, Refrigerator, Mini bar, Microwave. All the things. I could live here.
  • Blackout curtains. Yes! Sleep is important.
  • Soundproofing: God willing. Because hotel noise can be the absolute worst.
  • Non-smoking rooms: YES.
  • Wi-Fi [free]: This is a big one. Gotta stay connected, gotta update the sourdough starter's Instagram stories.

Things to Do/Ways to Relax (Or "How to Survive Bemidji Without Going Stir-Crazy")

Okay, so it's not a luxury spa resort. But what can you do?

  • Fitness center: Yes! Gotta work off those buffet calories, assuming they start the buffet up again.
  • Sauna, Spa, Steamroom, Swimming pool. I didn't see any of these, no.
  • Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site]: This is standard.
  • Bicycle parking: Didn't see this, but the area is perfect for biking, so it would be good if this was offered.
  • Pool with view. There is a pool, but not with a view.

Quirky Observations & Personal Anecdotes:

Okay, here's where I get real. My biggest issue with the hotel? The lack of a decent pillow. This is subjective, I know. But I, personally, require a pillow that cradles my head like a cloud. This… did not do that. It was more like a firm brick. So, yeah. Pillow issues. Ruined several hours of sleep. (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.) Bring your own pillow, people!

The Verdict: Is It Worth the Escape?

The Candlewood Suites in Bemidji isn't luxurious. It's not flashy. But it's clean, relatively comfortable, and the staff seem genuinely friendly (and trained in safety protocols, which is huge). It's a solid, dependable choice for a road trip stopover or a base camp for exploring the area. Just bring your own pillow. And maybe a small bottle of Purell. You know, just in case.

My Final Rating: 3.5 out of 5 sourdough starters.


SEO-Optimized Offer: Escape to Bemidji's Heart with Candlewood Suites and Discover the "Paul Bunyan Experience!"

Tired of the mundane? Craving a getaway?

Book your escape to Bemidji, Minnesota, with Candlewood Suites and experience the magic of the Northwoods! Embrace the outdoors, breathe in the fresh air, and unwind in comfort and style. This is your chance to connect with nature, recharge, and create unforgettable memories.

Here's why Candlewood Suites is your perfect Bemidji basecamp:

  • Convenience & Comfort: Enjoy free Wi-Fi to stay connected, spacious rooms, and all the amenities you need for a relaxing stay.
  • Safety First: Rest easy knowing we’re committed to your health and well-being with enhanced cleaning protocols and staff trained for your safety.
  • Accessibility: We offer accessible rooms and facilities to ensure everyone can enjoy their escape.
  • Nearby Activities: Explore the legendary Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues, hike the scenic trails, or discover Bemidji’s charming shops and restaurants.
  • Flexibility: Our cancellation policies provide you with peace of mind.
  • Grab-and-Go Breakfast: Kickstart your day with a quick and easy breakfast, perfect for fueling your Bemidji adventures.
  • Fitness center: Stay active during your stay!

Book your stay at Candlewood Suites in Bemidji today and get ready to:

  • Explore the Heart of the Northwoods: Discover the beauty of Lake Bemidji, the Paul Bunyan State Forest, and the vibrant art scene.
  • Relax and Recharge: Unwind in our comfortable rooms and enjoy our friendly service.
  • Create Lasting Memories: Experience the unique charm and adventure that Bemidji has to offer.

Keywords: Bemidji, Minnesota, Candlewood Suites, hotel, travel, Northwoods, vacation, Paul Bunyan, Lake Bemidji, accessibility, free Wi-Fi, clean hotel, safe hotel, family friendly, things to do Bemidji, best hotel Bemidji.

Don't wait, book your escape today! Click here to book now and take advantage of our special offers!

Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Junshe Bontique Guest House, China

Book Now

Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG United States

Okay, buckle up Buttercup, because this isn't your grandma's travel itinerary. This is my survival guide for a weekend smack-dab in the middle of… well, Bemidji, Minnesota. And trust me, navigating a weekend in the North Star State is like trying to herd cats while wearing mittens.

The (Maybe-Sane) Plan: Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG (or, the Weekend That Tried To Happen)

Thursday Evening: Arrival & Existential Dread at Candlewood

  • 6:00 PM: Touchdown in Bemidji. This is a city that could be confused with a small town. Actually, it's a really really small town. I pull up to my lodging, Candlewood Suites. The sign is friendly, but there is a sense of being out-of-place. I mean, I am in the middle of the USA. After a quick drive, or two, or three, up the road, the Candlewood Suites finally appears. It looks… clean. Functional. A beige sanctuary in a world of beige. My heart feels good.
  • 6:30 PM: Check-in. The front desk person is… efficient. No "Welcome! How was your flight?" just "ID and credit card, please." Fair enough. She's probably seen a thousand more people than me today, I think. After some basic conversation, the hotel key is finally mine.
  • 7:00 PM: The room. It's… a suite. I guess. Couch, kitchenette, a surprisingly comfortable bed. My inner slob immediately assesses the possibilities: Pizza? Definitely pizza. And maybe a marathon of whatever terrible TV shows are on.
  • 7:30 PM: Pizza procurement. This is where the first cracks in the perfect weekend begin to show. The closest pizza place according to Google Maps… is closed. Seriously? Closed? On a Thursday night? The horror. I end up ordering some questionable-looking takeout from a place called “Zorbaz.” Apparently, it's a local institution. We shall see.
  • 8:00 PM: Pizza. It’s… edible. The sauce has a certain… tang… that I'm not quite sure about, but the toppings will do. I will survive in the middle of America.
  • 8:30 PM: The TV marathon commences. "Forensic Files" followed by "Judge Judy." My intellectual pursuits are clearly in full swing. Feeling good.
  • 9:00 PM: I suddenly find that I am starting to feel homesick, this is not helping.
  • 10:00 PM: Sleep. I'm still here.

Friday: Paul Bunyan, and the Great Outdoors (AKA, My Very Attempted Embrace of Nature)

  • 7:00 AM: Wake up. Actually, I woke up at like, 3 am and had a panic attack. It's a weird hotel dream, and there's a guy with a bag of snakes in there.
  • 7:30 AM: Coffee. Glorious, necessary coffee. The hotel has a coffee machine. At least they do that. It is very weak.
  • 9:00 AM: Head to Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Because, y'know, must do the touristy thing. I'd like to say I was overwhelmed with the sheer, awe-inspiring presence of the world’s largest lumberjack statue, but… I was kind of underwhelmed. He’s big, yes. But more importantly, I am in the middle of nowhere.
  • 9:30 AM: Photos! Of course. Must document the moment. Maybe I should get Babe. I decide not to.
  • 10:00 AM: Explore the lake, Bemidji Lake. Lake Bemidji State Park beckons. Fresh air, hiking trails, the whole shebang. This is where the "embracing nature" part kicks in. I park my car. I get out of my door. It smells like… trees! And… something else. Something… earthy.
  • 10:30 AM: First trail. I think I am lost very quickly. This is where I realize I’m not really a "nature person" person. At least I have my phone.
  • 11:00 AM: The trail. It's muddy. And I'm pretty sure I just heard a bear rustling in the bushes. Panic Mode: Activated. I may have yelped. More than once.
  • 11:30 AM: I give up. Nature has defeated me. I retreat back to the car, covered in mud, mosquito bites, and a newfound respect for people who enjoy hiking.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at… somewhere. I grab some sandwiches. Sandwiches are the perfect meal, at any time.
  • 1:00 PM: I decide to go again. The lake is beautiful. Calm. I try to take pictures. Then I fall into the lake. My phone is in the water.
  • 2:00 PM: I dry out. The phone is still working. I am lucky.
  • 3:00 PM: I decide to visit a local bar. It's a strange feeling to be alone at a bar. I order a beer, and start to feel better.
  • 5:00 PM: I head towards the motel again.
  • 6:00 PM: I find some food. This is still not helping.
  • 7:00 PM: TV time.

Saturday: Adventures into Oblivion

  • 8:00 AM: Another coffee. This time, I brew a stronger batch. I think.
  • 9:00 AM: I decide to explore the town. I go to some little shop. I buy some gifts.
  • 10:00 AM: I walk around the town. Trying to see if I can make some connection to people, but no such luck.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at… I have no idea. Anywhere.
  • 1:00 PM: I decide to head towards the hotel.
  • 2:00 PM: My mind goes blank. TV time.
  • 3:00 PM: I decide to read. A book.
  • 6:00 PM: Pizza.

Sunday: The Homeward Bound (Thank God)

  • 8:00 AM: PACK.
  • 9:00 AM: Checkout. The efficient front desk person gives me the bill. No lingering goodbyes.
  • 9:30 AM: Drive off.
  • 10:00 AM: Drive off.
  • 11:00 AM: I am flying off. Maybe this is the beginning.
  • 1:00 PM: Home. Safe.

So, there you have it. The messy, imperfect, and maybe slightly sarcastic truth about my weekend in Bemidji. It wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't exactly the postcard-perfect getaway I envisioned either. But, hey, at least I survived. And now, I have a story to tell. And isn't that what really matters?

Winton Hotel Malaysia: Unbelievable Luxury Awaits!

Book Now

Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG United States

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into a deep, messy, and wonderfully imperfect FAQ about Escape to Bemidji: Paul Bunyan's Cozy Candlewood Suites Awaits! This is gonna be less "polished brochure" and more "unfiltered rambling from someone who actually *went*". Let's do this.

So, Bemidji… Paul Bunyan? Really? Is this a giant-statue-and-nothing-else situation?

Alright, let's be honest. When the brochure says "Paul Bunyan," your brain probably conjures up a mental image of a colossal, lumberjacky statue with a comically large axe. And yeah, that IS there. He's majestic, I guess. But Bemidji is surprisingly MORE than just Big Paul. I was skeptical, I confess. I pictured a giant tourist trap. But! And this is a big, fluffy "but" – there's something a little… *charming* about the whole thing. The lake itself is gorgeous, especially at sunset, and the town has a quirky, almost aggressively friendly vibe. Like, everyone says "Hi" in the grocery store. It's weird, but in a good way. Don’t get me wrong, there's some… well, we'll get to that later. But it's more than statues.

Candlewood Suites in Bemidji – Cozy? Is that code for "cramped"? I've been burned before.

Okay, "cozy" can be a subjective term. And yes, I've also been bamboozled by hotel descriptions before. BUT. Candlewood Suites in Bemidji… it’s actually pretty decent. The rooms are genuinely spacious, like, you could do a few jumping jacks without knocking over furniture. I *did* knock over the coffee table once because the excitement from a good book got the better of me and it was a slightly clumsy and I'm not proud. They have a little kitchen area which is fantastic if you want to avoid eating out every single meal (hello, budget!). The beds are surprisingly comfy, too. It's not the Four Seasons, mind you, but it's definitely a step above "cramped coffin". I actually appreciated that I had a nice space to spread out and, important, read (see above, re: good book). My honest opinion: It's cozy without feeling like you're living in a closet. I didn't want to be in the closet

Tell me about the food. Please tell me there’s more than just chain restaurants.

Okay, food is *crucial*. And listen up, because this is a mixed bag. Yes, there are chains. Sadly, they exist. But! (there's that word again!) There are some genuinely good local options. The Lakeside Restaurant, right on the lake, has fantastic walleye (when in Rome Bemidji). Be prepared for the classic north woods experience (think rustic, with wood paneling). There’s also a cute little breakfast place whose name eludes me at the moment (bad, I know, I'm trying!), and their pancakes were...heavenly. Seriously, I'd go back just for pancakes. I’m still dreaming of them. The local brewery had decent beer, if that's your jam. Don't expect Michelin-star dining, but you *will* find some deliciousness. And… okay, I'm also giving you a heads up: the grocery store has a decent deli. Don’t judge. Sometimes, you just want to eat a sandwich in your pajamas, okay?! No judging. It’s a judgement free zone.

Best time to visit? Gotta know the weather, man.

Haha. Weather. Okay, so, I went in… let me think… early fall, I think? It was gorgeous. The leaves were changing, the air was crisp... perfect for walks around the lake. But I've heard summers are lovely, too, for swimming and boating. BUT... and this is a BIG one: Winter in Bemidji is a *thing*. A SERIOUS thing. I heard stories of blizzards and sub-zero temperatures. I'm talking, "your eyelashes freeze" kind of cold. Unless you're a HUGE fan of snowmobiling or ice fishing (which, to each their own!), I'd probably avoid winter. Unless you LOVE snow and can't get enough of the cold. Then, go right ahead. Embrace the deep freeze! But I would recommend spring or fall or Summer.

What's there to DO besides stare at Paul Bunyan and eat pancakes (though, honestly, both sound appealing)?

Okay, this is where Bemidji surprised me. There's actually a decent amount to do! The lake itself is the star. You can rent a kayak, go for a swim (brrr!), or just sit and watch the sunset. The Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues are a must-see, obviously (but don't expect to spend all day there). There are some cute little shops in downtown. The Bemidji State University campus is pretty and had a nice walking trail. I went hiking, and there are more hiking trails. OH! And the Beltrami County Historical Society. I'm a sucker for local history, and this one was surprisingly good. You know, the kind of stuff that’s so specific and that reminds you how people lived and worked a long time ago, and it makes you respect them. I almost started crying, it was honestly moving. I'm not a crier, so, like, major Kudos to the Historical Society. They did a good job. And I think that’s their job. Anyway, I recommend seeing it.

Okay, the REAL question: Would you go back? Be honest. And what did you REALLY think?

Okay, deep breath. Honestly? Yes. I would go back. Bemidji won me over. I came in with low expectations, and left genuinely charmed. The food was good enough, the lake was beautiful, the people were friendly… and yes, the whole Paul Bunyan thing is delightfully silly. It's not a "get away from it all" kind of trip, like, I don't think I found any profound answers to the meaning of life. But it's a good place to de-stress, recharge, and just… be. I'm not even sure what that means. Look, I needed a break, and Bemidji delivered. It’s not perfect, it’s a little… unpolished. And that’s part of its charm. And the fact that the Pancake place still gives me the warm fuzzies. Yeah. I'd definitely go back and have more pancakes.

What about the *smell*? Everyone says Candlewood Suites smells the same everywhere. Is that true?

Okay, let's address the elephant in the (Candlewood) room. The smell. Yes. Yes, it does. And I'm not going to lie, it's not my *favorite* smell. It's that… vaguely artificial yet still clean scent, that's… everywhere. I think it's a mix of cleaning products and… let’s just say, generic "hotel fragrance." Does it ruin the experience? Nah. It's noticeable, sure, but you get used to it. Just don't go expecting a spa experience in olfactory terms. And it's not a *bad* smell. Just… there.Backpacker Hotel Find

Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG United States

Candlewood Suites Bemidji - Paul Bunyan By IHG United States