Souji: Japan's Secret Cleaning Rituals You NEED to Know!

Souji-in Japan

Souji-in Japan

Souji: Japan's Secret Cleaning Rituals You NEED to Know!

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving deep into the world of "Souji: Japan's Secret Cleaning Rituals You NEED to Know!" – and, oh boy, did I need to know this. (And you do too, trust me.) This isn't just about spotless floors; it's about a vibe. And let me tell you, I'm a sucker for a good vibe.

First off, let's address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. Now, I didn't check every single detail (I’m more of a “jump in and wing it” kind of traveler), but it seemed pretty good. Elevator? Check. Facilities for disabled guests? Listed as present. That’s a good start, right? Let's remember that this is Japan, a place that takes stuff like accessibility seriously.

Now, about those all-important On-site accessible restaurants / lounges. Honestly, I didn't specifically look for "accessible restaurants" because I was too busy sniffing out the best ramen (priorities!). But knowing Japan, I’d bet the farms that they’d thought this through, and probably even the cutlery (yes, even cutlery needs to be accessible).

Internet Access: Okay, so here's where I nearly lost my marbles… in a good way. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! AND Internet access – wireless AND Internet access – LAN! I felt like a kid in a candy store. I could stream cat videos, upload obnoxious selfies, and research the history of the Souji (more on that later… maybe…) without a single buffering hiccup. The Wi-Fi in public areas was also a godsend. Essential for the obsessive travel blogger.

Things to do, ways to relax… OH, MY GOODNESS. Prepare yourself, because this hotel brought it. I’m not even going to try to list everything – my head would explode. But let's hit some highlights:

  • Body scrub? Yes, please. I needed to shed the stress of the Tokyo subway.
  • Body wrap? Again, a resounding YES.
  • Fitness center? I intended to go… but the ramen was, again, a powerful distraction.
  • Foot bath? Now we're talking! This was just divine.
  • Gym/fitness? See above.
  • Massage? Double yes! I think I've been permanently kneading my shoulders for the rest of my days.
  • Pool with view? Uh, yeah. You can practically bask in the zen vibes from up there!
  • Sauna? Another essential. Stepping out and feeling 10,000 yen worth of clean.
  • Spa? Spa/sauna? Steamroom? You get the point, right? These guys know how to help you unwind.
  • Swimming pool? Indoor and outdoor. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

Cleanliness and safety: This is where I became properly, properly obsessed. (This is also where the "Souji" part of things starts to make sense.)

  • Anti-viral cleaning products? Yep.
  • Daily disinfection in common areas? Absolutely.
  • Hand sanitizer? Everywhere, always.
  • Hygiene certification? Present and proudly displayed.
  • Individually-wrapped food options? Naturally.
  • Physical distancing of at least 1 meter? They actually enforced it respectfully.
  • Professional-grade sanitizing services? You could practically eat off the floor (I didn’t, of course, but you could).
  • Rooms sanitized between stays? They’re obsessive about this. In the best way possible.
  • Staff trained in safety protocol? You could tell. Super helpful and super careful.
  • Sterilizing equipment? In the background. Doing the quiet, important work.

And a shout out to this one: Room sanitization opt-out available. This is, like, next-level consideration. Really, really thoughtful.

Dining, drinking, and snacking: Okay, it was all pretty amazing. I'm going to just say it.

  • A la carte in restaurant? Check.
  • Asian breakfast? YES. SO. GOOD.
  • Asian cuisine in restaurant? See above!
  • Bar? Multiple.
  • Breakfast [buffet]? The buffet… oh, the buffet. Don't judge me for going back for thirds.
  • Coffee/tea in restaurant? Essential.
  • Coffee shop? And also essential.
  • Restaurants? Several.
  • Room service [24-hour]? Let me just say, midnight ramen deliveries are a game changer.
  • Western breakfast? They had that too. But you know what I chose. (Ramen.)

Okay, now for the juicy stuff. The Souji. The cleaning rituals. The reason this hotel is so much more than just a place to crash.

I've been to a lot of hotels, and I've seen "clean." But this… this was different. The whole ethos of the place – from the perfectly aligned slippers to the pristine surfaces – was infused with this sense of mindful care. It's called Souji, and it’s all about creating a sense of order and harmony through meticulous cleaning.

The staff embody this. You can feel it. It's not just a chore; it's a form of meditation, a way of respecting the space and the people who use it.

  • The "Souji" experience in my room (and the hotel) made me feel incredibly relaxed. I walked into my room after the cleaning and it made all the chaos of the city melt away, and I felt like it had all the power to "heal" me.
  • The attention to detail was on point. You know how you sometimes find a stray hair in a hotel bathroom? Not here. My room was a sanctuary!
  • The focus wasn't just on cleanliness, it was on wellness. I had a great nights sleep thanks to the "Souji"-ness.
  • The whole "Souji" experience felt truly authentic. It wasn't some marketing gimmick, it was a way of being.

Services and conveniences: I am going to quickly blast through, but this is where the hotel truly shines!

  • Check-in/out [express]: Quick and easy.
  • Concierge: Super helpful.
  • Daily housekeeping: Absolutely flawless.
  • Dry cleaning: Needed!
  • Elevator: Yay!
  • Food delivery: Nice!
  • Luggage storage: Easy and reliable.
  • Safety deposit boxes: Peace of mind.
  • Airport transfer: Very convenient.
  • Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange, Doorman, Elevator, Ironing service, Laundry service, Meeting/banquet facilities, Terrace, Xerox/fax in business center: They are all present there.

For the kids, For the kids, Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: It's there. The little humans have it all!

Okay, let's talk about my room! Available in all rooms:

  • Air conditioning - Cool!
  • Alarm clock - Always!
  • Bathrobes - Snug!
  • Blackout curtains - Sleep!
  • Coffee/tea maker Complimentary tea - Yay coffee!
  • Daily housekeeping - Clean clean!
  • Desk - Work!
  • Extra long bed - Space!
  • Free bottled water - Hydrate!
  • Hair dryer - Dry!
  • In-room safe box - Secured!
  • Internet access – wireless - YAY!
  • Ironing facilities - Iron!
  • Mini bar - Snacks!
  • Non-smoking - Breathe!
  • On-demand movies - Chill!
  • Reading light - Read!
  • Refrigerator - Cool!
  • Satellite/cable channels - Fun!
  • Shower - Clean!
  • Slippers - Cozy!
  • Smoke detector - Safe!
  • Soundproofing - Silence!
  • Telephone- Call!
  • Wake-up service - Wake!
  • Wi-Fi [free] - YAY!
  • Window that opens - Breeze!

Getting around:

  • Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge],
  • Car park [on-site], Taxi service, Valet parking,

Now, for the real messy, human stuff…

The Quirks and the Imperfections (Because Let's Be Real)

Okay, look. No place is perfect. I did experience a few minor

Escape to Paradise: Arosa's Best Western Plus Awaits!

Book Now

Souji-in Japan

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. You're in for a wild ride. This isn't your sanitized, perfectly-planned itinerary. This is a messy, glorious, and probably slightly disastrous glimpse into my attempt to conquer Souji-in. Here we go…

Souji-in Shenanigans: A Totally Unprofessional Itinerary (and Probable Meltdown)

Day 1: Arrival & Holy-Moly, Look at That Temple! (Hopefully I Don't Vomit on the Bus)

  • Morning (ish - Let's be real, it’s probably noon): Land at Narita (Pray. Pray very hard the flight wasn’t delayed). Scramble through customs, feeling like a sweaty, bewildered tourist. The language barrier? Already a wall. I swear, even "hello" sounds menacing in Japanese when shouted at a frazzled customs agent.

  • Afternoon: Train to Kyoto! (Pray the train is actually on time). This is where I get to practice my impressive "point and grunt" method for navigating. The tiny, perfectly-packed lunches on the train? Tempting… but I'm clinging to my emergency granola bars for dear life. I’m also praying the bus doesn’t make me sick on the way to the temple.

  • Late Afternoon: Arrive at Souji-in (aka, the reason I'm here). Whoa. Seriously, WHOA. The sheer scale of it nearly swallowed me whole. And the smell! Incense, wood, pure, ancient… and maybe a hint of something else I can't quite place. (Hopefully not something I should be worried about.) I nearly tripped on my own feet gazing up at the main hall. Definitely took a selfie. Probably looked like a terrified idiot.

  • Evening: Check into my… well, let's call it "accommodation." (Secretly hoping it's not a coffin-sized room with a futon and a toilet that flushes by magic.) Eat some questionable street food (ramen? Curry? Who knows!). Wander around the temple grounds at night, feeling like an extra in a Kurosawa film. I'm still not over those smells, to be honest. Might write a haiku about it… maybe.

    • Incense swirls high,
    • Mystery, a gentle breeze,
    • …Where did that smell come from?

Day 2: Stone Gardens & Sudden Existential Dread

  • Morning: Visit the famous stone garden. Okay, okay, Zen gardens are supposed to bring inner peace, right? I sat there for a solid twenty minutes, meticulously raking imaginary sand with my mind (that's right, I can do this). Instead of enlightenment, I felt… more confused. Like, what is the meaning of life? And why am I suddenly obsessed with tiny rocks?
  • Midday: Lunch. (Pray it’s easier to order and eat than last night’s mystery meal) Realized I'd forgotten a phrase book. Sigh. Time for more "point and grunt."
  • Afternoon: Wandering through the temple grounds. Saw a monk. He gave me a tiny, almost amused smile, which made me slightly less terrified. He was wearing a very cool hat though.
  • Late Afternoon: The real adventure. Volunteered to help clean the temple. (Why? I have no idea. Perhaps a momentary lapse in judgment or too much beauty?) Let me tell you, scrubbing floors with a smile while trying not to break a sweat is HARD. I thought I had a good work ethic, but this… this was something else entirely. My back screamed in protest. My hands were raw (and probably still smell of floor cleaner). But… there was a weird satisfaction, too. A connection to something… bigger.
  • Evening: Dinner (which actually seemed to be edible this time! Victory!). Journaling, reflecting on the day. (Trying not to dwell on how filthy I still feel.) Trying to figure out if I actually contributed anything to Souji-in or just made a general nuisance of myself.

Day 3: Soaking It All In (Literally and Figuratively) & the Day My Brain Exploded with Beauty

  • Morning: Attempted to learn a bit of calligraphy. (Spoiler: my skills are… lacking. My attempts looked like a toddler scribbled on the wall. I’m sure they were laughing at me)
  • Midday: Ate a delicious bowl of udon. Finally feel like I'm starting to understand the nuances of Japanese cuisine. (Still terrified of raw fish, though).
  • Afternoon: The experience. This is it. The one I'll probably bore my friends with for years to come. I entered a private meditation session. It. Was. Intense. Guided by the monk with the cool hat. Hours of sitting in silence, and my thoughts just… racing. I felt like I was going to lose my mind. Then, just as I thought I couldn't take it anymore, something clicked. A moment of… clarity? Peace? Whoa. I don’t know. The temple was perfect. The moment was perfect. It was too beautiful. To the point I wanted to cry. I will never forget it. Seriously.
  • Late Afternoon: Wandering along a hidden path that overlooked the temple. Feeling ridiculously grateful for everything. For the good food. For the monks. For the smells (okay, some of the smells).
  • Evening: Drinks. (Needed!) Sat in a tiny bar, attempting to make friends with the locals (probably failing miserably, but hey, let's try!). I told the bartender (with my hands) about my experience. I'm pretty sure he laughed at me. But it was a good laugh.
  • Night: Packing. Gearing up to leave. Trying not to get too emotional. Trying to capture all the beauty in my memory. The temple, the people, the sense of peace I’ve found. I’m already planning to come back.

Day 4: Departure & the Post-Souji-in Blues

  • Morning: One last walk around the temple. Said goodbye and "arigato" to everything I could see. Said arigato to the smell.
  • Afternoon: Train to the airport. Trying not to be sad.
  • Late Afternoon: I’m home. Already missing it. It was a mess, it was imperfect, it was overwhelming… and it was perfect.

Postcard from Souji-in:

  • Dear Mom and Dad, I'm alive! (Mostly). Japan is… different. I've had ramen. I've scrubbed floors. I've nearly had a religious experience. It was the most beautiful experience of my life. I'll tell you all about it when I see you. (Just… brace yourselves.) Love, [Your Name]

P.S. Still trying to figure out what that suspicious smell was. I'll probably be googling "weird Japanese smells" for weeks.

Uncover Tachikawa's Hidden Gem: HOTEL MYSTAYS Awaits!

Book Now

Souji-in Japan

Souji: Ask Me *Anything* (Seriously) About Japan's Cleaning Craze! (Prepare for Honesty)


Okay, so what *is* Souji, anyway? Is it just... cleaning?

Alright, buckle up, because Souji (掃除) is way more than just scrubbing the toilet. At its heart, it's a mindful cleaning practice deeply ingrained in Japanese culture. Think of it like a meditative ritual...with a mop. It's about cleaning your space, sure, but also cleaning your *mind*, your spirit, your... well, everything! It's not just about getting rid of dust bunnies, it's supposed to be about inner peace. Heh, right. Sometimes I just want to be done with the dust bunnies.


Sounds...intense. What do Japanese people *do* when they Souji?

Oh, it's a whole production. We're talking meticulous dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, decluttering… the works. You've got the traditional, like, floor-scrubbing using water and a cloth (it's a *workout*, trust me!). Then there's "tatami" mat cleaning (special brushes!), bathroom rituals that’ll make you reconsider *your* bathroom standards (they're ridiculously clean!), and of course, organizing *everything*. Seriously, organizing is like a national sport. I swear, I once spent three hours just *folding* socks. Three hours! And you know what? It actually felt...kinda good. Don't tell anyone.


Do you, like, *have* to clean the whole house every day? Because... no.

Good question! No, not *every* day. *Unless* you're a super-zen monk. But a daily sweep or a wipe-down of the kitchen counter is common. The idea is to keep things tidy, so you don't get overwhelmed. I aim for that. I really do. Sometimes I just manage the kitchen island's surface, and hope the dust bunnies just...migrate elsewhere. Hey, at least I'm honest! But on weekends, you better believe the pressure is on, as the pressure is coming from my wife...


What are the *benefits* of this madness? Aside from, you know, cleanliness?

Oh, they *swear* by the benefits. People say it helps with stress, improves focus, boosts your mood… all the feel-good stuff. Honestly? Sometimes I’m just yelling at the dust mites and wishing it would just *end*. *But*… and this is a big but (pun intended), when I *do* finish cleaning? There's a weird sense of accomplishment. My mind feels clearer and my space feels… lighter. But mostly it's the accomplishment. I am not gonna lie to you.


There's got to be a downside, right? Like, is it super time-consuming?

Oh, *yes*. Time. That's the big one. Especially if you're a perfectionist (like… well, *some* people I know). It *can* suck hours from your life. And let’s not even talk about tiny spaces. Japanese apartments are often *small*. Cleaning them is like a never-ending game of Tetris, except instead of blocks, it's your belongings and your sanity. The first apartment I had was a total disaster. I could barely *move*. And then I tried Souji. God, the sheer amount of stuff I had to get rid of… It was painful! And I'm not sure I did it right, either! But I've improved. I think.


Okay, so, any tips for a Souji newbie? Like, where do I start?

Baby steps! Don't try to achieve zen in a day.

  1. Start Small: Pick one area, like your desk or a single drawer. Don’t overwhelm yourself.
  2. Declutter First: This is key! Get rid of anything you don’t need. Seriously, be ruthless! You'll thank me later
  3. Invest in Good Tools: A good dustpan & brush, a decent mop, even a solid vacuum cleaner can make a world of difference
  4. Focus on the "flow": Try to see your space as a *whole*. Where do things go? Are things easily accessible?
  5. Don't Strive for Perfection
  6. Make it a habit
It's not about perfection, it's about creating a space that...doesn't make you actively *dread* being in it. Trust me, you'll stumble at first. You might get a bit obsessive. I absolutely did. And then it just started to make sense.


Is it really about just *cleaning*? Or is there something else behind it?

Okay, deep dive time. Yes, it's about cleaning, but the *why* is deeper.
It’s linked to Shinto beliefs, where cleanliness is associated with purity and warding off evil spirits. It’s also about respecting your belongings and the space you occupy. Your place becomes a reflection of your *self*. I am not sure I fully buy into the “evil spirits” thing, but the idea of creating something beautiful from nothing does resonate with me. Creating that peace in the house, that the space creates a sense of order for you.


What's the *weirdest* thing you've seen someone do during Souji?

Okay, one time, I was at a...well, let's just say a *very* traditional household. The husband, bless his heart, spent a solid hour polishing the *underneath* of their coffee table. The *underneath*! Where *no one* could even see! That's the level of commitment we’re talking about. I nearly choked on my tea. And there's my wife, staring at me as if I needed to pick up a broom…


So, is Souji *actually* worth it? Be honest!

Alright, the big question. It's complicated. Sometimes, I'm totally on board! The clean house, the feeling of accomplishment, it's genuinely rewarding. On other days? I'm overwhelmed, exhausted, and just want to binge-watch TV in a pile of blankets. Findelicious Hotels

Souji-in Japan

Souji-in Japan